Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Where there's T-R-O-U-B-L-E he'll f ind it

So, I've gotten 3, yes 3, calls from the school this week.  Monday was a holiday but I got calls...Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I'm hoping we can end the record there and I won't receive another at some point today.  Tuesday's and Thursday's calls were regarding Goalie Boy.  Wednesday was a call from the nurse to pick up Little Bee.  She had a tummy ache because of all the heat.  Those are the kind of calls I got the first 3 years Goalie Boy was in school.  It was he had a fever, tummy ache or his ears hurt.  Sometimes I went and picked him up, sometimes the nurse said she thought everything was really fine and back to class he would go.
But not this year.  This year I have received calls concerning these things:
Bullying
Bombing
Hand gestures
Sportsmanship/Not Listening

Don't freak out!  The first two were not like they sound and everything with those two calls actually went fine.  Ugh!  I wish the last two calls I hadn't received.  Sigh.  Granted, there are worse things a parent can be called about but still, this is becoming a bad habit.  My husband feels he is starting to make a name for himself and not in a good way.  It's not that he's a bad kid he's just persistent, stubborn, structured and like to push the boundaries.  These will all be good attributes when he's older and knows how to use them for good instead of evil. 

The bullying phone call was just to let me know of an incident that happened after a Student Government meeting at the beginning of the year.  They were talking about elections and my son told a classmate he was going to "beat her".  It was nothing except to say he was going to win.  It wasn't right what he said.  However, the girl went home and mentioned it to her mom.  The mom (who is my neighbor from hell and we don't speak anymore) made a HUGE fuss over it calling him a bully.  She posted it all over Facebook (without coming out and naming him).  She told some of our mutual friends that their children should stay away from him because he's a bad influence.  And she called the principal and made a huge stink.  We figured out later that she had her daughter bad mouthing the other candidate behind her back.  So, the vice principal took them both into his office and they hashed it out.  I was upset because I wasn't notified before hand.  I had a meeting with him the next day.  Everything was fine and he came right out and said it was a misunderstanding, blown out of proportion.  Goalie Boy was spoken to about diplomacy and using the right words.  I still laugh though that he was not allowed to tell me who the other child was that was involved.  I'm glad I already knew.  I think it's only fair to know who the accuser is, especially if they hadn't brought them face to face.
The "bomb threat".  I got a call first from the assistant principal on this one.  My phone had glitched up and somehow I missed the call and never got a voicemail.  My husband's phone was on the fritz (Verizon issue) too and he didn't get his voicemail until 5pm.  All the message said was that my son had said some disturbing things in school and he needed to talk with us.  Fast forward to me trying to track one of the 2 principals down the whole next day.  My husband and I were freaking out and my son had no idea what it was about.  Finally at 2:50 the principal called and told me the situation.  Goalie Boy and 3 friends devised a spy game.  One of their plots was to blow up the school. Someone over heard them talking about it.  Obviously, not literally but since 9/11 everyone has to be cautious about what is said.  Even when it's third grade boys, which I understand.  They were spoken to about the seriousness of it.  The point was made too that the principal did understand that they were playing.  I find it said that kids can't even play "normally" like we use to for fear of it being taken the wrong way.  I miss innocence.
The finger gesture issue happened on the field trip last Thursday, right before break (the kids had off Friday through Monday).  A chaperon saw my son repeatedly pointing his middle finger up and gesturing with it.  Definitely not right for him to do.  I have a few problems however with how the chaperon handled it, even though I know they're not a school employee.  First, address it as soon as you see it and tell him to stop.  Second, I know this parent.  Granted, not well but we've met up with friends several times.  I talk to his wife.  She has my number.  Why get the school involved?  Yes, I understand it was during school time but it wasn't like he was bullying another kid.  Also, if it had been addressed immediately, I know it wouldn't have happened again.  My son never said a word to me about it and I'm disappointed in him.  I do know that the parent did at switch seats and sit next to him but I guess that was after the fact.  Maybe it's because this parent is also a Middle School teacher.  I don't know.  The conversation with the assistant principal went well.  It contained words like boys will be boys and such.   I guess the biggest issue was the repeated use of it.  My husband and I don't flip the bird.  However, my father does when he's in the car and gets angry at another driver.  A conversation is coming his way soon.  I also discussed with him the fact that sometimes my son does use the middle finger to point.  It was something that he did consistently up until last year.  However, we have spoken to him about the fact that it's inappropriate and rude.  His punishment was to write a note to the chaperon and the teachers on the bus apologizing for his actions.  I thought that was fair and appropriate.
Yesterday's phone call came from the gym teacher.  I'm grateful she called and handled it rather than passing it upwards.  It's my understanding that she had to address the class twice about sportsmanship.  I guess the winners (kickball) were bragging that they beat the losing team and the losing team was disagreeing because they only played half a game.  The battle raged on as only 8 and 9 year old can make it. Goalie Boy brought it up again how they didn't lose because it wasn't a full game.  It's the old three strikes you're out routine.  She pulled him aside and spoke with him about it.  Then she told him his punishment was that he was not allowed to play kickball at recess.  He could play anything else except that.  More than fair I think.  However, when recess came he tried to play.  He insisted to his para he could play because the gym teacher wasn't there (she sometimes has recess duty with them) and it was only when she was there.  He badgered the poor woman with his insistence until another para became involved and told him to stop.  It was brought to the gym teacher's attention.  So, his revised punishment was a call home to mom and no kickball the next day (today) during recess.  Again, more than fair.  I spoke with him about it and supported the teacher.  He insists he didn't hear her tell them to stop the first two times because he was out of hearing range. He doesn't wear his aid for gym or recess. I told him it still wasn't acceptable for two reasons.  First, he knows the rules of sportsmanship since he plays hockey.  We've talked about being a humble winner and a gracious loser.  He knows better.  We had the talk in detail.  Secondly, we've taught him that he needs to be able to speak up and advocate for himself.  If something is being said and he can't hear it then he needs to let it be known.  I'm sure it was obvious that she was saying something important when all the kids around him became quiet.  It was his job to raise his hand and let her know he hadn't heard what she said.  Our biggest fear is him using his hearing impairment for a crutch. My punishment was for him to write the para a note apologizing for being so insistent and not respecting her.
Do your children get calls or notes sent home from school?  Have you ever gotten more than one in a week?  Please share your struggles and let me know I'm not alone in this.  It can be frustrating.  I know he's a well meaning kid but his stubbornness and persistence get him into trouble.  Also, there are many times he doesn't think before he speaks or acts.  If he would just take a moment so many things could be avoided.  I know these weaknesses now can be major strengths in his future.  Hmmmm....maybe he'll become a lawyer.  Too bad he doesn't like school!

Let's BEE Friends

4 comments:

  1. I think if you talk with him at home about what's acceptable/not acceptable behaviour, outline consequences and follow through with them ... it's a start. Keep the lines of communication open, be loving but firm. What you're doing so far sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. We have spoken to him about behavior just last week. Obviously we have to readdress it and make a visual reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you're on the right track. It stinks when people just automatically want to get school personnel involved simply because something happens in a school setting... the chaperone thing would've got to me for sure. But it sounds like you're staying on top of things. Sometimes kids just go thru phases of testing boundaries in a big way A LOT! I think that's normal and it sounds like that's what you're experiencing at your house. Clearly, you're NOT raising a jailbird! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah for your comment. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling the way I do about the whole chaperone thing. My son is definitely one to test boundaries. A lot! But while I get negative feedback it's always tempered with he's a sweet, good boy that is always happy and wants to please.
    I think our biggest fear is he'll end up a jailbird. lol But, he really is good just growing up and testing limits.

    ReplyDelete