Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A scare in the night

It was after midnight. The room was dark and quiet except for the hum of the air conditioner. The bedroom door is closed to keep the cool air in and the warm air out.

A screeching sound breaks the silence. It's the sound of a bedroom door opening and moments later, closing It's a miracle I even hear it. My hubby doesn't even twitch. I lay there listening but don't hear any footsteps. Odd that I even heard the door open.

Whenever I hear a door open I listen intently for the padding of little feet. Most of the time they head to and from the bathroom at the other end of the hall. Occasionally they'll make their way to our bedroom next door. Then I'm needed to soothe bad dreams or upset tummies.

This time, nothing. Silence. Then I hear the door open once again. No bathroom sounds. Weird. The door doesn't click closed.

I always get up to check on the kids after I've heard one of them up at night. It's just my thing. I always like to make sure everything is alright.

Once, I checked in on Goalieboy after a bathroom visit and found him in bed sobbing quietly. He didn't want to wake me up after having a nightmare. He thought daddy would get angry if he was awoken. I laid in bed with him, gently rubbing his back. We made up stories to chase the nightmares away. Eventually I had him laughing and all was well.

I quietly climbed out of bed, so as not to disturb the slumbering bear who had to be awake for work in three hours. I opened the bedroom door and what did I see? Goalieboy standing in his doorway. He looked confused, a bit baffled. He mumbled something I couldn't understand. He looked down and that's when I saw what was in his hands. He was carrying his sneakers in one hand and a baseball hat in the other. I was in shock. I was grateful I had opened the bedroom door to check on him. I took the shoes and hat from his hands and put them away. Then, I carefully manuevered him into bed, pulled the covers over him and kissed him goodnight before quietly leaving the room.

To most, this incident would seem funny. I know I would've wanted to laugh. Problem is, Goalieboy occasionally sleep walks. It's rare and he's never done anything dangerous. This time he scared me to death. All I could think of is what if I hadn't heard him? What if he had gone downstairs and out the door?

It could happen. I use to talk in my sleep, as he does. A few times my parents recall me wandering around our house asleep. The scariest part for me is my mom use to sleep walk. Hers was full blown. She would actually leave the house in the middle of the night as a young girl. She told stories where she had crossed busy streets. The thought of this terrifies me. I'm grateful it hasn't come to that yet. I will now sleep even lighter at night. I'm already very aware because he has nightmares and even night terrors on occasion.

I asked him about it this morning and he remembers nothing. He thought it was funny. He even asked which hat he grabbed. I didn't want to worry him so we joked about it.

Tonight, I won't be sleeping well. Our bedroom door will be partway open. I'm more than willing to let the cool air out so I can hear him. It's going to be a long night. Praying for no repeats.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment